Joseph N. Pirtle
Joe Pirtle is a shareholder of the firm focusing his practice on commercial and business litigation, contract disputes, lien claims and insurance litigation. He also helps businesses with entity formations and transactions.
Joe joined Elam & Burke in 2005, following a clerkship with District Judge John C. Hohnhorst. He has extensive experience representing individuals and businesses in all facets of litigation in Idaho and Oregon. His significant engagements include successful prosecution of mechanic’s lien claims in one of Idaho’s largest ever lien foreclosure actions, defense of professional malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims, and pursuing creditor claims in bankruptcy. Joe also successfully pursued substantive consolidation of two business debtors in Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings in Idaho, resulting in the dismissal of adversary claims against contractors totaling $330 million.
Joe is a past Chair of the Idaho State Bar’s Litigation Section and current pro bono counsel for the Idaho Suicide Prevention Hotline. Joe has also served as an attorney mentor for the Idaho Trial Skills Academy. In 2010, Joe was appointed by the Idaho State Bar Board of Commissioners to serve on the Lawyers Assistance Program, providing support for lawyers experiencing problems with substance abuse or mental health issues. Joe is a graduate of the Idaho Academy of Leadership for Lawyers and later served on its steering committee. In 2015, Joe was honored with the Idaho State Bar’s Outstanding Young Lawyer Award.
- University of Idaho, J.D. 2004
- University of Idaho, B.S. Business Finance 2001
- Idaho state and federal courts
- Oregon state courts
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Martindale Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Idaho State Bar Litigation Section – Past Chairperson and Governing Council Member
- Idaho Academy of Leadership for Lawyers – Inaugural Class Graduate and past Steering Committee Member
- Idaho Lawyers Assistance Program Committee Member
- Idaho State Bar 2015 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award recipient
- Idaho Trial Skills Academy – Attorney Mentor